Saturday, March 3, 2012

Beautiful Day...

So in case you didn't read the title to this blog today was a beautiful day in Guatemala.

I started my morning by spending some time in Crossroads Cafe which I have grown to love so much. It is always filled with the smiling faces of my friends down here who always seam to be grabbing some coffee the same time I am. I met Wayne (the executive director) for coffee and had a great talk. I feel blessed to have met people down here who I feel like I can fully trust and depend on.

Next up I ended up walking down to the lake and caught up on some family phone dates. I was actually sitting on the ledge to the lake when the Sweden guy I wrote about yesterday came and sat next to me (picture a ledge 100 feet long then picture him walking to the ledge, seeing that I was the only person sitting on it, and then choosing to sit about a foot away from me... weird). When I finished talking to Poppy and got up to leave he made random comments about how "I must be close to my grandfather" and that "I seamed really happy here in Pana". I think he was just trying to make up for bashing Americans yesterday.

After my weird conversation with Sweden dude I walked to yet another coffee shop in town and spent some time working on reading The Alchemist. I bought it both in English and in Spanish and am working on translating it. It's a long and sometimes boring and all the time frustrating process, but I do think it has helped me with my Spanish. I am also reading it out loud (mostly when I'm at home or before someone came and sat at the table right next to me at the coffee shop) which is helping me with my pronunciation.

I decided that since I had a full day off I should do some grocery shopping and cooking for the week. I went to all 4 stores (it's what everyone does here because you have to get different products at all the different stores) and to the market. I can't remember if I have written about my avocado lady in the market or not, but I go to her every time to buy avocados and whatever else looks good that day. Well today she gave me 1 avocado, 3 carrots, 1 onion, and 4 lemons for only 5 Q. That's about 65 cents. Just saying it was a big deal... We're buds.

Tonight for dinner I cooked a zucchini casserole. I like finding recipes that don't take a lot of work and will last throughout the week. Coming up is actually the first semi quiet week I will have in awhile. I am excited to hopefully have more time in Pana and to possibly fit in a Spanish lesson or two.
After dinner Kasia and Lungi came over for a movie night to watch PS I Love You. We all sat on the couch together and watched it off of my computer. Those 2 girls remind me of the youth back home I miss so much. It's nice that I have found that connection here also.

I think tomorrow I am going to splurge and take a boat ride across the lake for 15 Q (about 2 dollars). Some of the other villages around the lake have good markets on Sunday I may check out. However, I could also just play around Pana and do some more book translating.

Today was a good day... Some may even say life changing. I mean I did finally get on a friends level with Mrs. Avocado.

No comments:

Post a Comment