Sunday, April 22, 2012

Guatemala Slumber Party... Yes I like to pretend like I'm 13 sometimes.

I've gotten really close to the family who owns Crossroads Cafe in town, so on Friday I had a slumber party with the girls. Kaisa is 18 and Lungi is 16. We had a movie night last week and they asked if I would spend the night then. However, I had just gotten home from Guatemala City, so I decided we should do it this week. I'm pretty obsessed with these girls. They remind me so much of the youth back home that I have been missing.

When I got home from work I headed over to the coffee shop. The girls were so cute. They had planned out exactly what we were going to do.

Here was our schedule for the night:
- Walk to Pana Super to buy sandwiches for dinner.
- Eat dinner and talk about old boyfriends. This conversation reminded me of hundreds I have had with middle school/high school girls back home. Usually sitting on a bathroom floor.
- Dye Easter Eggs. My parents brought me a kit when they came to visit. Heather and I planned to dye some eggs last week, but we just got swamped with work. The girls had only dyed eggs once before, so it was hilarious listening and watching them try to figure out how to do it.
- Set Peeps on fire on the roof of the coffee shop. My parents also brought me Peeps for Easter which I offered to the girls. When we bonded over our hatred of Peeps we then decided (it's important to note that they completely came up with this idea on their own!) to set the peeps on fire.
- Strawberry facial mask. They came up with an organic homemade mask that had strawberries and egg whites (and several other things I can't think of right now) in it. We put it on and let it set for about 10 minutes. My face was really sticky/smooth when I took it off. They were so cute talking about coming up with different masks for our next sleepover.
- Movie. We spent a long time figuring out what movie to watch. We finally decided on Four Feathers. However both Kaisa and I fell asleep about 20 minutes into it, so then Lungi just watched Last Song which apparently they have watched every night in the past week.
- Sleep. While I was falling asleep I kept hearing people talking/yelling on the street. The coffee shop is in the middle of town, so it was pretty noisy. I kept wishing I knew what they were saying. Maybe I'll succeed in learning Spanish just so I can listen to other people's conversations.
- Breakfast. They cooked breakfast for me. So cute.
- Painting nails. Lungi wanted her fingernails and toenails painted, so we got to work after breakfast. She painted her toenails as I painted mine then I painted her fingernails. She kept saying I was so good at it, but if she had anyone else to compare it to I'm sure she would have realized how horrible I was.
Lungi attempting to set the Peeps on fire. One is missing out of the box because I showed them that if you put a Peep in the microwave it will get really big then explode. I learned that at my disciple group's Christmas party when a freshman did it in my microwave. Yes we did bond over our mutual fascination with fire.
While Lungi tried to set the place on fire Kaisa and I played with the bunny. And by play with the bunny I mean I held it so it wouldn't hop (get it because bunnies hop?) into the burning Peeps.
Cute girls with our Easter eggs!!
Trying to get a self timer good picture of the 3 of us was pretty impossible. We kept trying to put my camera on different shelves in the kitchen to see which one worked the best. This is a bad picture, but it's the best one we could get.
Wearing our strawberry/egg while facial masks.
I told the girls I was leaving next Tuesday to head back to the States and they decided we needed to have another sleepover before I left. I think we are going to have another one this Friday night. We have also made a list of things I need to bring back with me from the States to make our slumber parties better next year. These girls are too adorable! I'm so thankful for their friendship. This family is truly amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment