Thursday, December 29, 2011

Perfect Timing...

So I'm been a little sad the past couple of days. Since Christmas is over and I've really been able to fully focus on Guatemala I've realized that my departure date is coming up way faster that I was expecting. I leave on January 3rd which is in 5 days. If you were sitting next to me on my couch looking at all my Guatemala stuff scattered all over the floor and not packed yet you would understand why that is such a scary sentence to type.

Anyways like I said earlier I've been getting really nervous and sad as the day approaches. The main thing that I am nervous about (you know besides having to learn and speak in Spanish) is being away from my family and friends. I have been fortunate to grow up in an amazing supportive bubble that is made up by my family and church family. I get sad everyday that Guatemala gets closer thinking about how I am going to do without being surrounded by them like I am used to.

This leads me to why this blog is called perfect timing. Today was my last day of work, so the youth staff took me out to lunch to say goodbye. At lunch they gave me a journal that they made filled with notes from everyone I love. If you look at the picture below you will see how the journal has so many notes in it it doesn't even come close to closing. I was toying around with the idea of taking a 2nd carry-on and after seeing the journal we all agreed the extra bag may be necessary. Every page is labeled with a date that I'm going to be in Guatemala for. Some days have an envelope that says "when just one note won't do" and on those days the envelope has several notes in it. There are letters in it from staff members at the church, family, and youth (can't express how excited I am to read these notes... It will be just like having my very own personal workcamp mailbox everyday!!). I can't even imagine how long it took Sedonia (hopefully this makes you smile when you read this since you love shout outs :) ) to put it all together. It was just what I needed to pull me out of my depressed state that I was slipping into. What a beautiful gift to be able to read a special note from someone I love everyday I'm gone.

I know I am blessed to have such a strong support system here that will be lifting me up in prayers while I am gone. If you are reading this and you were one of the people who wrote me a note please know how much it truly means to me. I know that with this journal if I start feeling a little sad all I have to do is open it up and read a couple of notes from loved ones and it will brighten my day. Thank you all so very much!!

1 comment:

  1. I caught up on all of your blogs today! I love you so much!
    Love,
    Katie! :)

    ReplyDelete