Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving and Guatemala thankfulness.

Every year I have 3 Thanksgivings and they are each my favorite.

My family starts Thanksgiving Day by going downtown and serving the people who live in Houston's Forth Ward. This morning we were trying to figure out how long we have been doing this and came up with maybe 15 years... probably longer. We wake up early and prepare all the food at our church then head to Rose of Sharon Baptist Church where we make about 150 plates to hand out. Every year I am reminded how thankful I am to have this family tradition. I told the minister of the church who I have known my whole life that I am moving to Guatemala to do mission work and he reminded me that I told him when I was little that moving overseas to be a missionary was my dream. It was a great moment that I'm thankful for.

My second Thanksgiving is equally as amazing. We always celebrate Thanksgiving with my dad's side of the family on Thursday. We gathered at my grandfather's house (I live in the garage apt, so kinda my house too) and ate a great meal together. My dad's side of the family all live within about 2 minutes of each other, so we grew up ridiculously close. Our family gatherings are always filled with lots of love and laughter. I am very thankful for them.

Tomorrow we head up to Longview to have our third Thanksgiving with some of my mom's side of the family. We will drive to Longview, celebrate Thanksgiving with my grandfather and my mom's aunt, uncle, and cousin, then drive home all in the same day. It is exhausting, but absolutely worth it. This Thanksgiving is also filled with love. I am very thankful for the Longview gang.

Here are some things about this Guatemala Adventure I'm thankful for...

Having a family that fully supports my decision to go to Guatemala.

Friends who understand why I want to go (I've learned this is rare).

The support of my church... all of the youth I love so very much.

That I work at a place that will allow me to take off 5 months to do this. Trust me I know how special and rare this is and could not be more thankful.

The friends I work with. They are going to have to pick up my 'slack' while I'm gone, but yet they are so very supportive.

The people who work at Salud y Paz for giving me this opportunity and for guiding me through the process so far.

And as always whoever is reading this blog. :)

1 comment: